The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records in three main categories:
- The right to inspect his/her education records
- The right to request an amendment of the records that the student believes are inaccurate
- The right to control disclosures of their records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent
For a detailed explanation of a student’s rights under FERPA, please read the Notification of Rights under FERPA, which is distributed annually to all Longy students.
One of the information disclosure exceptions permitted under FERPA is the release of Directory Information to parties outside the institution. Directory Information is defined as information which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The following data elements are defined as Directory Information at the Longy School of Music of Bard College:
- Local and Permanent Address
- Local and Permanent Phone Number
- Email addresses
- Dates of Enrollment
- Degrees and Awards received
- Program and Major
- Class Schedule
- Enrollment Status (e.g. Full-time, Part-Time)
- Photograph(s) of student
It is your right to request that Longy withhold the release of directory information unless your prior consent is obtained. Before making this request, however, keep in mind that many times it is to your benefit for Longy to be allowed to release information to parties such as
- Landlords when you’re looking for an apartment
- Banks when you’re applying for a student account
- Student travel discount organizations
- Fellow students wishing to organize rehearsals
Also, keep in mind that just because Longy can release directory information, it is not required to do so. Student information is only given out when the request is deemed to be appropriate and legitimate.
Each academic year, students receive the Request to Withhold Directory Information form. This form should be completed, signed and returned to the Registrar only if you wish your directory information to be withheld unless prior consent is obtained.