Mission & Vision
Longy School of Music of Bard College prepares musicians to make a difference in the world.
The world needs music now more than ever. At Longy, we prepare students to become exceptional musicians who can engage new audiences; teach anyone, anywhere; and use artistry to change lives in communities around the world.
Longy is a degree-granting conservatory in Cambridge, MA. We offer a full spectrum of performance, composition, and teaching programs, including a Master of Music in Music Education.
We’ve turned graduate education on its head with our innovative Catalyst Curriculum, which pairs musical excellence with the skills needed to become a professional musician in a rapidly changing musical landscape. At Longy, you will discover many paths to make a meaningful life in music. Join us and become the musician the world needs you to be.
- The transformational power of music
- The joy of making and sharing music with others
- The art of teaching
- Honest, ongoing assessment
- Respect for the individual
- A diverse and supportive community
- Dynamic interaction with the larger world
- Creative thought and innovation
- The freedom to explore
- Advocacy for our art