First Parish Church of Stow and Acton
Reports To: Minister
Status: Part Time, 10 month position
Effective Date: August 1, 2023
The Accompanist at the First Parish Church of Stow and Acton is responsible for providing piano and organ music during the church services, as well as accompanying the church choir, beginning the Sunday after Labor Day and concluding the first Sunday in June. The commitment includes the Christmas Eve Services, up to 4 additional summer services outside of the performance schedule year, 3 services not on Sunday mornings (vesper or afternoon services), and up to 6 rehearsals, as agreed to with the Music Director.
- Provide a prelude, postlude, and/or hymn accompaniment during each church service outlined in the contract
- Accompany the church choir, soloists, and ensembles during Sunday morning rehearsal prior to the service, and during the Sunday service(s) as needed, as well as other occasions outlined in the contract
- Provide an offertory piece for services at which the choir is not present if no alternative musical offering has been arranged (Currently FPC is at one service per Sunday, but may return to two. When at two services, the choir only performs at one.)
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred; or comparable professional experience
- Demonstrable musical skill with piano and organ (or be willing to develop skills on pipe organ).
- At least 2 years experience accompanying a choir is preferred.
- Consistency and reliability with job expectations
- Ability to work smoothly with the choir director during rehearsals and performances
- Timely communication regarding changes in schedule
- Openness – engaging with music across many genres and theologies, reflecting not just their own tastes, but also engaging with music outside their comfort zone.
- Diversity – comfort working with people across a wide range of religious beliefs and identities, including gender-expansive, LGBTQ+, BIPOC, and disabled individuals.
- Is open to and welcoming in the tradition of UU principles.
- Occasionally asked to roll the piano across a short distance – volunteers often on hand to help as needed with this moving.
- $10,000 – $12,500, depending on experience and qualifications
- FPC pays the 7.65% FICA tax (this is not a self-employed position)
Benefits in addition to Salary:
- $750 professional expenses
- Sundays Off: 3 Sundays off during your performance schedule year by prearrangement with the Music Director and the Minister, plus the Sunday(s) between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
People with disabilities, people of color, indigenous people, Hispanic/Latinx, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. FPC is committed to developing a diverse and talented staff team
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Johanna Pyle by May 21, 2023 via electronic submission at email@example.com Please also direct any queries to the email address.
353 Great Rd.
Stow, MA 01775