Music Teacher: basic job description of a Music teacher: teaching the principles of Music to students of different ages and at different levels. We are looking for someone to start in Fall (September) 2023.
Under the supervision of the building Principal, the Music Teacher is responsible for teaching music education to pupils in grades PreK-8, and assisting the staff of the school in the improvement and appreciation of music instruction. He/She helps pupils grow in their enjoyment, appreciation, and performance of music through a variety of planned music experiences, which include singing, moving to music, playing of instruments and listening. The Music Teacher also performs other duties directly related to this job description.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Music Teacher:
• Teaches skills in music understanding/appreciation, harmony, explorations in music and choral music to elementary pupils.
• Plans/executes a balanced music program and organizes class time so that preparation, rehearsal and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted time.
• Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the music curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
• Encourages students to develop individual musical skills to the greatest extent possible. Utilizes repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and contemporary that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of pupils.
• Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments and equipment to prevent loss or abuse.
• Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to instruments as required. Evaluates each pupil’s musical growth, performance, and musical understanding.
• Assesses each individual’s contribution to the performance of the group.
• Creates lesson plans that are appropriate for the age and abilities of the students in the class.
• Communicates students’ progress to parents.
• Provides appropriate resources and learning materials for students.
• Identifies varying teaching methods that work best for students who learn differently.
• Develops and updates curriculum for the classroom.
• Encourages creativity in students.
• Maintains accurate records of students’ progress in class.
• Keeps order in the classroom and handles student behavior issues in accordance with school system policies.
• Maintains an orderly classroom stocked with appropriate supplies.
• Petitions administrators for updated equipment for the classroom.
• Runs the classroom within the allocated budget.
• Keeps all classroom work backed up.
• Posts grades and sends grade reports to parents as required by the school system.
• Leads the school choir and provides the music for all school Masses.
• Provides guidance and music for the school choir at various locations in the community, throughout the year as scheduled.
• Plans, organizes, and puts on two school musicals (Christmas for grades Prek-3 & Spring for grades 4-8).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must be liturgically trained to provide music for all school liturgies.
• Must have ability to work at a desk, conference table or in meetings of various configurations.
• Must have ability to stand and circulate for extended periods of time.
• Must have ability to see for purposes of reading music, correspondence, documents and printed matter and observing students.
• Must have ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels.
• Must have ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand normal conversation.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must have knowledge of a wide-range of musical instruments.
• Must have excellent critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Must have strong organizational and time management skills.
• Must have strong public speaking skills.
• Must have the ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check (CORI) and fingerprinting.
• Must have the ability to attend and complete VIRTUS training.
• Must be professional, clean, and neat with personal appearance.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Music or related field is recommended.
• Continuing education courses for keeping up with technological advancements is recommended.
• Time is spent working with students in a climate controlled classroom or Auditorium setting.
East Boston Central Catholic School
69 London St
East Boston, MA 02128 United States