International Students

International Students

55% of current Longy students are from countries outside of the United States. We look forward to working with you throughout the admission and audition process.

English Proficiency

All applicants for whom English is not a first or primary language must submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Duolingo English Test.

Recommended minimum scores for admission to the Undergraduate Diploma (UD), Master of Music (MM), Graduate Performance Diploma (GPD), Graduate Diploma in Composition (GD), and Artist Diploma (AD):

IELTS: 5.5
Duolingo: 90

Recommended minimum scores for the dual-enrollment Bachelor of Music (BM) program through Emerson College:

IELTS: 6.5
Duolingo: 105

Completing a full-time degree program at a college or university where English is the language of instruction may be grounds for a waiver of the TOEFL requirement. All students seeking this waiver must email to request a waiver application.

Transcript Evaluations

All international applicants are required to submit official transcripts from their previous institution(s). Transcripts that are not in English must have an official English translation. This translation cannot be done by the applicant.

Longy only accepts translated transcripts submitted directly from the school, with the official school seal that include graduation dates and degree(s) received.  All students must complete their studies and earn their respective credentials (certificates, diplomas, etc.) before enrolling.

NOTE: Transcripts that do not include final grades for all courses, graduation date, and degree(s) received will not be accepted. Transcripts that do not have this information directly published on the transcript must provide a supporting certificate from their school (with the official seal) confirming the graduate date and degree(s) received.

Longy prefers translations via one of the following services:

We accept official transcripts in the following formats:

  • Hard Copies mailed to our Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope by your institution. We cannot accept transcripts mailed to us by the student. Hard copied should be mailed to the following address:

Longy School of Music
Office of Admissions
27 Garden St
Cambridge, MA 02138
United States of America

F-1 Visa Process

International students are required to obtain an F-1 Student Visa before travelling to the US to study at Longy. To obtain an F-1 Student Visa, the student must first be enrolled into one of Longy’s SEVP certified programs. This includes accepting an offer of admission and paying the enrollment deposit.

Once the student has enrolled with Longy, the student must then provide documentation proving they have enough funds available to pay tuition and fees as well as living expenses during their studies in the US. Afterwards, one of Longy’s SEVP Designated School Officials (DSO) will send an I-20 Form to the student. Once received, the student may then apply for an F-1 Student Visa.

Please note: while Longy will do everything possible to help students obtain an F-1 Student Visa, it is the student’s responsibility to research and understand the requirements in obtaining and maintaining US nonimmigrant status. Please read the following websites to learn more about studying in the US:

COVID-19 Travel and Visa FAQ

Please note that this information is subject to change. Last updated on April 29, 2022.

Should I plan to be in Cambridge this fall?
Yes. Once your embassy is open and travel restrictions have been lifted in your country, you should plan to be here in person.

Will Longy offer online classes again next year?
Only Longy’s Online Master of Music in Music Education is fully online at this time.

Do I need an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility?
If you are an international student at Longy, a valid I-20 Certificate of Eligibility is required for the 2022-2023 school year. We recommend scheduling time to speak with Benjamin Nourse Gross (Longy’s PDSO) about your individual circumstances. If you are joining us in person for the first time, you should have an I-20 with a start date corresponding to your program. To obtain this document, please provide updated financial documentation by completing the I-20 Documentation Form on your Status Page as soon as possible, but no later than June 1, 2022. The I-20 allows you to complete an F-1 Visa application and schedule an appointment at your regional U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

What if I need an F-1 visa but my embassy is currently closed?
Check the status and wait time at your regional embassy. Please contact your regional embassy for more information, and make sure you have the appropriate documentation ready to go when they reopen. There is also the possibility of scheduling an appointment in a nearby country with an open US embassy. If you wish to explore this option, you should contact the embassy to see if they accept visa appointments for third country nationals. If you choose to pursue this option, be sure to research quarantine and travel regulations to and from your home country. For more information, read about Applying as a Third Country National.

If I am currently living in a country banned from travel into the United States, what do I do?
Read the full statement from the Department of State. Please be sure to research quarantine requirements and other pertinent safety information when you are booking travel.

If I am currently in the United States, should I return home this summer?
See the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Tracker for up-to-date changes.

Will a COVID-19 vaccine be required for in-person instruction at Longy?
To ensure a safe return to in-person classes, all faculty, students and staff are required to have a COVID-19 booster shot by February 7, 2022.
International students with questions regarding vaccinations should contact Tyler Reece, Assistant Dean of Enrollment and Student Services.

Who do I contact with questions?
Benjamin Nourse Gross, Longy’s PDSO, will be your primary resource for all matters related to immigration. Our entire Academic Affairs team looks to his guidance for these matters, and it is vital that you do the same. Please feel free to schedule an appointment with him at any time to discuss your situation. Schedule a meeting with Benjamin!