SECTION LEADER VACANCIES: ALTO, TENOR AND BASS
The Church of the Redeemer in Chestnut Hill (Boston), MA is auditioning for a professional Alto, Tenor and Bass Section Leader to start in September (or possibly earlier). Auditions will remain open until the position is filled.
The principal function of a Section Leader (SL) is to lead the auditioned Parish Choir (which consists of approx. 20 members, including the 8 paid SL’s) and to sing solos within the choir from time to time. The choir sings the 10am service all year round; in addition to occasional special services such as Christmas Lessons and Carols, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday and Holy Week.
In addition, there is also a choral service (Evensong or Solemn High Eucharist) sung on Sunday’s at 5pm from September through June. There is no mid-week rehearsal, but a brief (45 minute) rehearsal following the 10am service during the academic year, in addition to the rehearsal before each service. Repertoire consists of traditional music ranging from the 16th-21st centuries and the choir may occasionally perform concerts and host national and international guest conductors. The choir has been featured on various commercial CDs. Expectations, standards, requirements, attendance policy and pay are all outlined in the job description on the following page.
We would like to hire professional singers who can sing both the 10am AND 5pm Sunday services, but are open to hearing from singers who may only be able to sing 10am OR the 5pm. Please submit an expression of interest letter with a resume showing your qualifications, church choral experience and relevant recordings by email to Nigel Potts at: firstname.lastname@example.org
SECTION LEADER JOB DESCRIPTION Effective: June 2021 Function:
• To provide strong choral support and solid leadership to the choir
• Solid vocal technique and skills. (A degree in vocal performance/music is usually expected) • The ability to sing with straight-tone and blend.
• Significant church choral experience. Knowledge and experience of Plainsong and Anglican Chant Psalmody is an advantage.
• Excellent sight-reading ability.
• Section Leaders are responsible for learning the music in advance of rehearsals /services. (Music Lists are published in advance)
• Professionalism, punctuality, singing posture (sitting & standing), concentration and attention are expected at all times.
• Section Leaders will be asked to sing solos from time to time.
• Being organized and prepared as an individual and as a leader to those in the choir.
• Advent/Christmas and Holy Week/Easter are mandatory.
• All absences need to be requested by email to the Director of Music and are only given at his discretion.
• Director of Music may ask the Section Leader to find a sub for their absence. All subs must be approved by the Director of Music.
• Section Leaders are paid (competitive Boston rates) per performed call.
• Higher fees may apply for some special services such as Christmas Eve, Weddings and Funerals.
• An annual review/audition may take place, if needed