The Presbyterian Church in Sudbury is seeking to fill the role of Director of Music with a talented musician to lead our Sunday morning worship service in both contemporary and traditional styles of church music as an accompanist and choral director.
- Strong Christian faith and an understanding of the importance of music in the life of the church
- Capable musician and choirmaster with relevant education and sufficient experience to assume all musical responsibilities
- Vibrant leader, able to effectively communicate musical suggestions, styles, and ideas to team members of all experience levels
- Knowledgeable and experienced in a wide range of traditional and contemporary music styles
- Skilled in choral and instrumental directing and music performance
- Able to read and transpose music, including playing from lead sheets and chord notation
- Proficient in both organ and piano performance
- Lead the music for Sunday morning services and special holiday events
- Conduct rehearsals one or two nights per week and before worship on Sunday for the chancel choir, praise band and other musicians as needed.
- Work with the pastor and worship committee to ensure continuity of themes throughout each worship service
- Select appropriate music for all regularly scheduled and special worship services (introit, offertory, anthems, hymns, special music, preludes, postludes, etc.)
- Provide organ and piano performances for rehearsals and services
- Seek new and creative ways to grow and enhance the quality of our current music program
- Actively recruit, incorporate, and develop vocalists and instrumentalists
- Attend regularly scheduled planning and preparation meetings with pastor, staff, and worship committee
- Manage the music budget provided by session
- Ensure that church’s instruments are kept in good working order and, if necessary, facilitate technicians
- Purchase music, while being cognizant and accountable to copyright laws, and help organize and maintain existing music library
- Hire musicians for special music or services as necessary
- Arrange for a competent substitute for rehearsals and services in the event of absence
- Prepare and publicize rehearsals and performance schedules
Additional Preferred Skills and Experience
- Degree in music
- Prior experience as a church music director
- Capability to play additional instruments
- Experience and interest in working musically with children
Hours & Salary
- This is a part-time salaried position with a total estimated commitment of 25 hours per week including various monthly meetings, practice, and preparation. Approximately 8 hours of this time will be required for weekly worship service and rehearsals.
- Certain holidays and events may require additional time and effort.
- The director is highly encouraged to be available for the occasional wedding, funeral, or other special service in the church. Compensation for these events will be in addition to the annual salary and be coordinated with the personnel committee
- The salary for this position will be in the upper $20,000s commensurate with experience and includes 3 weeks vacation.
- The Director of Music will report directly to the senior pastor on a day-to-day basis but will ultimately report to the church Session through the personnel team.
For more information about the church please check out our website at http://pcsudbury.org/. All interested candidates are also welcome and encouraged to join us for worship on any given Sunday.
To apply, please submit, at minimum, a resume and cover letter to the church via email at PCISmusicsearch@gmail.com. Please also feel free to include any additional pertinent materials with your application. Candidates will be compiled and considered on a rolling basis by the search committee.
Presbyterian Church in Sudbury
Sudbury, MA 01776 United States