- This event has passed.
Longy’s New Music Marathon
Sun March 1 @ 11:00 am
Join us for this year’s New Music Marathon, our annual campus takeover featuring world premieres by Longy’s student, faculty, and alumni composers alongside 20th and 21st century highlights performed by members of Longy’s contemporary music community. Presented by Longy’s Composition Department, this year’s program features special collaborations with the conservatory’s Jazz and Contemporary Music and Vocal Studies programs.
- A screening of short film scores complete with popcorn snacks and toy piano overture, culminating in a live improvised soundtrack to vintage Tom and Jerry cartoons led by faculty jazz guitarist and composer Eric Hofbauer
- Vocal music on poetry from across the ages, with never-before-heard music by Soviet era Ukrainian composer Stefania Turkewich, recently unearthed by musicologist and Longy alumnus Erica Glenn who joins us for an illuminating pre-concert talk
- New electroacoustic music on instruments from Longy’s Computer Music Studio, with accompanying electric petting zoo
- Audience-interactive chamber music by faculty composer John Morrison
- World premieres galore from Longy’s new Custom Commission program
Come hear what’s hot off the presses!
CARNIVAL OF THE DIGITAL ANIMALS LiveStream
Faculty and students perform with a menagerie of electroacoustic instruments from Longy’s Computer Music Studio. Come and try our electric petting zoo before and after the concert! Music by Emily Roberts, Derik Thomas, Libby Platt, Ryan Garvey, Billy Jewell, and Jeremy van Buskirk.
LONGY LAB ORCHESTRA
Longy’s signature-yet-officially-unofficial experimental music ensemble will explore the sonic particulars of the place we call Longy en masse. As hosted, assembled and hastily congealed by Dr. Peter J. Evans. All should attend, as audience participation is the one true necessity, everything else is negotiable.
IN-BETWEEN MUSIC LiveStream
Members of Longy’s Jazz and Contemporary Music (JCM) and Composition programs join forces to present experimental oddities and guitar-heavy chaos. Music by Aaron Clarke, Alex Dillon, and Hayes Cummings.
WHISPERS OVERHEARD LiveStream
Cutting edge chamber music that explores the auditory limits of acoustic instrumental sound, featuring a world premiere of audience-interactive chamber music by faculty composer John Morrison. Music by John Morrison, Patrick Wu, and Junda Tao.
STEFANIA TURKEWICH: COMPOSING IN SOVIET-ERA UKRAINE
Musicologist and Longy alumna Erica Glenn returns for a lecture on Soviet-era Ukrainian composer Stefania Turkewich, including performances by soprano Lea Peterson and pianist Kalden Alexander of never-before-heard works unearthed and transcribed by Glenn herself.
A SALON OF STROPHES AND SONGS LiveStream
A Schubertiade-like salon of 20th and 21st century vocal music on poetry from across the ages, interwoven with new and improvised music for piano and violin by composers from Longy’s Composition and Jazz programs. Music by Quinn Gutman, Peter Aldins, David Harewood, Stefania Turkewich, Zachary Friedland, Pengcheng Xiao, Judith Wier, Peter J Evans, Weijie Cai, and Jiaying Zhu-Mowry.
NIGHT AT THE MOVIES LiveStream
A screening of short film scores complete with popcorn snacks and toy piano overture, culminating in a live improvised soundtrack to vintage Tom and Jerry cartoons led by faculty jazz guitarist and composer Eric Hofbauer. Music by John Secunde, Jared Yickuw, Olivia Kieffer, Chuyi Ciu, and others.