Longy's Divergent Studio
New Music, Chamber Music, Composition
June 10-17, 2018
Application Deadline: April 2nd
Notification: April 9th
In Longy’s Divergent Studio summer program, soloists, ensembles, and composers engage in a whirlwind week of performance, composition, and collaboration. Along with daily coaching and concerts, all members of the program participate in workshops focused on the working relationships between performers and composers as well as interdisciplinary creative activities. Collaboration and cooperation are at the heart of Longy’s curriculum, and in this program participants have many opportunities to learn and grow together.
Ensembles and Performers
Both pre-formed ensembles and individual performers have the option of studying contemporary chamber works with loadbang or chamber music masterworks with the Neave Trio.
Work closely with Longy’s composition faculty and craft pieces for both fellow students as well as members of loadbang and Neave Trio. Work together to bring these fresh creations to life and hear your music performed live.
loadbang Contemporary Chamber Connection
Study with a world-class faculty that includes the members of one of the country’s most active new music ensembles, loadbang, in addition to Longy faculty member and pianist, Donald Berman.
- Daily coaching and masterclasses with loadbang and other Divergent Studio faculty
- Project-based seminars exploring atonal and microtonal ear training, performing with electronics, complex rhythms, grant writing, and career development
- Daily student and faculty concerts
- Workshops and social events with Neave Trio Next Generation Chamber Exchange and Divergent Composition Workshop participants
- The opportunity to perform alongside members of loadbang
Neave Trio Next Generation Chamber Exchange
Spend a week rehearsing and performing with the internationally acclaimed Neave Trio. Participants will experience playing in an ensemble with Trio members as well as daily private lessons, coachings, masterclasses, and seminars. The week will culminate in a public performance at Longy.
- Daily Coaching and Masterclasses with Neave Trio and other Divergent Studio faculty
- Project-based seminars exploring interdisciplinary collaboration, career development, self-promotion, building audiences, community engagement, and performance enhancement
- Daily student and faculty concerts
- Workshops and social events with loadbang Contemporary Chamber Connection and Divergent Composition Workshop participants
- The opportunity to perform alongside members of Neave Trio
Divergent Composition Workshop
Longy's Divergent Composition Workshop offers a unique experience which enables participants to work closely with world-class faculty composers as well as collaborate with loadbang and the Neave Trio. This week-long chamber music intensive offers opportunities to have your music performed live by Divergent students and faculty.
- Each composer will be assigned an ensemble consisting of members of loadbang and the Neave Trio
- Compose pieces in collaboration with other Divergent Studio participants
- Coaching with Divergent faculty
- Composition lessons/small group masterclasses with Divergent Composition faculty
- Daily workshops covering both analytical and compositional topics
- Workshops and social events with loadbang Contemporary Chamber Connection and Neave Trio Next Generation Chamber Exchange participants
Donald Berman, piano
Andy Kozar, loadbang, trumpet
Carlos Cordeiro, loadbang, bass clarinet
Jeffrey Gavett, loadbang voice
William Lang, loadbang trombone
Anna Marie Williams, Neave Trio, violin
Mikhail Veselov, Neave Trio, cello
Eri Nakamura, Neave Trio, piano
Aaron Helgeson, composer
Jeremy Van Buskirk, composer
John Morrison, composer
Amy Beth Kirsten, composer
Christian Wolff, guest composition faculty
Institute Dates - June 10-17, 2018
Early Registration Fee (April 23rd, 2018): $700
Regular Registration (May 2nd, 2018): $750
Current Longy Student Registration Fee: $350
Limited Scholarships Available. Scholarship applications will be sent with acceptance notification.
Students who need accommodations may stay in the dorms at Lesley University, which is approximately a 5-minute walk from Longy. According to demand housing can be arranged at Lesley University. Learn more
If you have any questions regarding the institute or how to apply, please contact:
Special Offer for Summer 2018!
New this year, sign up for one Longy summer program and get 50% off your second program tuition!* Simply contact our Finance office at 617.831.1799 with your first program receipt to receive this discount.
*Note: This offer is not available for MHTP.