Laura Bossert, Strings - Violin; Viola

Laura Bossert, a Silver Medalist in the Henryk Szeryng International Violin Competition, has earned recognition for her artistry as a soloist, chamber musician, and pedagogue. She is also one of the most respected and sought after teachers of her generation.

Ms. Bossert is on the faculty of the Longy School of Music, Wellesley College, and, in the summer months, Quartet Program and LyricaFest. Her students have positions in many wide ranging institutions such as the Boston, San Francisco, Portland, and New Haven Symphonies, Handel and Haydn Society, Royal Philharmonic, BBC Radio Orchestra, Helsinki and Santiago Philharmonics, The Hausmann String Quartet, A Far Cry, and Community Music Works. They have been awarded top prizes in international and national competitions such as Young Concert Artists, Fischoff, Spohr, the Miami String Quartet Competition and the Music Teacher’s National Association (MTNA).

Ms. Bossert has appeared in collaboration with Elmar Oliveira, Joseph Silverstein, Paul Neubauer, Kim Kashkashian, David Jolley, Joseph Robinson and with ensembles such as the Muir and Lark String Quartets, Amelia, Raphael, and Mirecourt Piano Trios. She has toured as a jazz violinist with David Amram and Chuck Mangione, and is a frequent guest artist, with The Cello Chix.

Upcoming season highlights, include chamber music and solo collaborations with Tchaikovsky Gold Medalist, cellist Segey Antonov, chamber music collaborations with violist, Roger Tapping and the Lark and Hausmann String Quartets, a teaching residency at the Eastman School of Music, and a series of master classes at Kent State University.

Teaching Philosophy

“At the core of all artistry is the burning desire to tell a story. It is with this goal in mind, that I guide my students through their study. To ‘tell a story’ one must acquire a unique skill set of sound, color, pacing, and emotion. Creativity is key, but ultimately it is not enough if it is not understood and internalized in conjunction with technique.

Technique becomes the music and music becomes the technique, and like any great artist, it is one and the same. Even during the most difficult technical work, the musical goal should remain at the forefront. Therefore, the beauty of sound and pulse should sustain throughout even the most arduous of tasks (such as finger independence exercises, intonation work and etudes).

During this process, creativity is also key for both the teacher and student. I encourage students to engage in their practice ‘like children in a sandbox,’ full of experimentation, wonderment and judgment reserved for observation only. There are basic tools that I know will work for 90% of players, and the other 10% is the gray area which is a source of continual exploration and flexibility.

It is my hope that my students feel they are in a comfortable environment where they are encouraged to think for themselves. Questions, analogies and humor are also a part of our lessons. I am interested in my students becoming their greatest teacher.

Playing an instrument beautifully isn’t complicated. Teaching oneself to play is the difficult part. I will work with my students on every detail until they play at their highest level. Together, we will map out a strategy for future success and the viability of each student’s dream. On a purely practical level, resume, bios, cover letters, mock interviews and auditions, etc., must also be a significant part of our work together.

I will see it through to the end, if the student is willing to accept honestly where they are and work and work until they are on their way to becoming their best teacher and ultimately their own ‘story teller.’

I am passionate and humbled by teaching and cherish my relationships with my students and admire each and every one of them for their tenacity and will.”

B.M., M.M., Performer’s Certificate, Eastman School of Music with Charles Castleman, also assistant to Castleman. Silver Medalist, Szeryng International Violin Competition. Performances: U.S., Europe, China, Mexico, also with the Muir String Quartet, Amelia, Raphael and Mirecourt Trios, Elmar Oliveira, Joseph Silverstein, Paul Neubauer, Kim Kashkashian, David Jolley, and Joseph Robinson. Appearances as guest concertmaster with Tucson Symphony and Oklahoma City Philharmonic. Texas Rising Star at Caramoor Chamber Music Festival. Jazz performances with David Amram and Chuck Mangione, improvisational performances with the Cello Chix and Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls. Solo premieres: David Amram, Lalo Schifrin and others. Co-founder, Lyrica Boston Chamber Music Series and LyricaFest. Visiting Faculty: EastmanSchool of Music. Former faculty: University of Rochester, West Texas A&M. Faculty: Longy School of Music, Wellesley College, The Quartet Program, LyricaFest. Recordings: CRI, Albany, Wildman.

Email: laura.bossert(at)