The Greater Boston Area offers many options for transportation and Cambridge has a walk score of 88!
Longy assists students with finding the most affordable means of getting around the city and offers several resources to members of the community.
The MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority), or the "T" for short, operates Boston area subways, commuter rail, trolleys, and buses. The MBTA website provides useful tools to map your location, create point-to-point directions, and view schedules and fares: www.mbta.com
Semester T Pass Program
The MBTA offers an 11% discount on monthly fares when students purchase a Semester T Pass through Longy. These passes can only be purchased twice a year prior to beginning of the semester. All students will be contacted via email when registration for MBTA passes opens in the fall and the spring.
Fall Semester Pass
4-month pass (September 1 through December 31)
Order Deadline: August 10
Spring Semester Pass
5-month pass (January 1 through May 31)
Order Deadline: December 10
Students who do not own a car and wish to have additional mobility outside of public transportation can register for a Zipcar account. This is option is a great short term solution for professional gigs or personal use.
Longy students can register at http://www.zipcar.com/universities/ and are eligible to receive the following discounts:
- 75% off the annual membership fee
- $25 application fee waived
Please note that you must be over 21 and have a valid driver’s license to register. Gas, reserved parking, and insurance are included in your membership.
Zipcar pickup locations can be found throughout the Cambridge and Boston.
Due to space restrictions within city limits, Longy can only offer on-site parking for staff and faculty members.
There are two hour metered parking spots available on Massachusetts Avenue, alongside the Cambridge Common park and in Harvard square.
The following parking garages are located close to the Longy campus:
- University Place Garage (45 University Rd.) $24/day
- Charles Hotel Parking (1 Bennett St.) $25/day
- Harvard Square Parking Garage (20 Eliot St.) $23/day
- Church Street Lot (41 Church St.) $34/day
- Alewife T Station (11 Cambridgepark West) $7/day
Biking is an economical, affordable, and efficient way to travel throughout the city. Longy offers bike racks for students
- For more information on biking around the city: http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/Transportation/gettingaroundcambridge/bybike.aspx
- Cambridge also offers a bike sharing system called Hubway, which allows people to rent bikes all over the city for a low fee: https://www.thehubway.com