Sistema Side by Side
Longy’s innovative music initiative brings together students from El Sistema-inspired music programs across Massachusetts and musicians from the Longy Conservatory Orchestra for a series of intensive rehearsals and performances featuring nationally renowned guest artists and conductors.
Side by Side student participants receive:
- Top-quality orchestral training led by internationally recognized Sistema Side by Side faculty, combined with private and small-group instruction from Longy Conservatory Orchestra musicians.
- Opportunities to build meaningful connections with youth El Sistema-inspired musicians from across Massachusetts.
- Performance experience in celebrated concert venues, including Harvard’s Sanders Theatre and the Fisher Center of Bard College.
We are very excited to announce our 2016/17 Side by Side season! New this year, we are launching three ensembles - advanced Symphony Orchestra, intermediate String Orchestra, and intermediate Wind Ensemble.
Symphony Orchestra (String, Wind, Brass and Percussion students with 4-8 years of experience)
String Orchestra (String students with 1-3 years of experience)
Wind Ensemble (Wind and Brass students with 1-3 years of experience)
To represent your area El Sistema-inspired program and join our growing community of Sistema-inspired musicians, please complete the online registration below. Ensemble assignments will be determined based on the level of each student and the need of each ensemble.
Video from last year's Side by Side Orchestra!
2016-17 Side by Side Schedules:
String Orchestra and Wind Ensemble - 8:45am to 11:30pm
8:45am - Arrival
9:00am - Sectionals - (with optional peer mentoring opportunities from Symphony Orchestra musicians*)
10:00am - Sectionals/Team Building
10:30am - Full Orchestra/Large Sectionals
11:30pm - Dismissal
Symphony Orchestra - 12:30pm to 4:00pm
12:30pm - Arrival
12:45pm - Sectionals
2:45pm - Full Orchestra/Large Sectional
4:00pm - Dismissal
*Peer mentoring/potential chamber music program with advanced strings, winds and brass:
- Side by Side students from the Symphony Orchestra will have an opportunity to peer mentor the String Orchestra and Wind Ensemble in the mornings.
- Depending on interest, there may be advanced chamber ensembles created with these musicians. More details to come.
2016-17 Season Dates:
*Students must be able to participate in all dates for the entire season.
All rehearsals will take place at Longy School of Music of Bard College in Cambridge, MA.
1/14 - Symphony Orchestra only on this day (12:30 - 4:00pm)
1/21 - Regular rehearsals for Wind Ensemble, String Orchestra, and Symphony Orchestra
2/11 - Afternoon/Early evening Concert (details to come)
3/13 - Gala Concert (Call time TBD. Most likely will be 4:00pm for 6:30pm performance, Sanders Theatre at Harvard)