MAT Admissions Information
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Program is defined by forms of active inquiry where learning and professional growth are fostered in an atmosphere promoting mutual support. Creating a collaborative educational community begins with the selection of a talented, energetic, and diverse cohort of students during the admission process.
The Summer 2017 application is open! Apply now!
Please email the Admission Office with questions.
- Complete the Online Application.
- Submit a recorded audition (please see Audition Repertoire Requirements). We do not expect applicants to submit a studio-quality recording; we are listening for the quality of musicianship and performance, not the quality of the recording itself. Video is preferred. Do not mail scores, DVDs and/or CDs.
- Submit Required Supplemental Materials (see below).
- All applicants must have received a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a major in music or music education. We will also consider applicants who have received a bachelor’s degree in another discipline with a concentration in music. Students must have completed core courses in music theory and music history prior to the MAT.
Required Supplemental Materials
- Resume, personal statement, 2 letters of recommendation (submitted through the online application)
- Transcripts/academic records (transcripts must be in English)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (non-native English speakers only)
- FAFSA—Free Application for Federal Student Aid (Institution Code 021430)
Additional Materials for Enrollment
As a residency model, the MAT program places students in classrooms throughout their year of enrollment. The following clearances are required for participation in classrooms:
- Tuberculosis clearance (documentation of negative test results within the last four years)
- Fingerprinting clearance: Please go to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website for directions
All correspondence not submitted online should be addressed to:
Longy School of Music of Bard College
Master of Arts in Teaching Program
c/o Heart of Los Angeles
2701 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90057
Phone: 617-876-0956 x1700
MAT Los Angeles Admission Open House - Saturday October 22
Please join us to learn more about our unique and innovative 1-year Master of Arts in Teaching program located in the heart of Los Angeles! Register here: Open House