Earn a Master's in the El Sistema approach to teaching
A partnership between Longy School of Music of Bard College and the Los Angeles Philharmonic.
The El Sistema approach to music instruction is changing lives in communities around the world. Longy’s Master of Arts in Teaching will help you develop the tools you will use to become a leader in this inspiring movement.
This ground-breaking program is housed at Heart of Los Angeles, site of the LA Phil's El Sistema-inspired Youth Orchestra of Los Angeles (YOLA).
Intense instruction in performance, music pedagogy, and social justice is paired with hands-on teaching experiences—your classroom for graduate study is just across the hall from the students you will be teaching.
At the end of this 12-month program, you’ll leave with a master’s degree, your K-12 credentials in California—which is widely accepted among other states across the country—and the skills to truly make a difference in the world.
- Earn your Master of Arts degree in teaching and K-12 credentials in just one year
- Gain hands-on teaching experience in the El Sistema approach
- Study with members of the Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Enjoy individualized attention—class size is only 12 – 15 students
- Great job prospects—we have a 100% track record for job placement
Request more information today and receive a copy of Fundamental Elements of El Sistema, an in-depth exploration of what makes this approach to music education so successful.
- “The majority of the skills and tools that I use on a daily basis were developed in the MAT program. The MAT is all about experience, meaning that I learned these skills through doing. Without a shadow of a doubt, I would not have the job I have today had I not gone through the MAT program and formed meaningful relationships with my professors and mentors.”Gabrielle Molina (MAT '14), Lead Teaching Artist-Music, Franklin Elementary School, iCAN, Santa Barbara, CA