Human Resources Generalist (Posted June 6, 2017)
Longy School of Music of Bard College has an immediate opening for a Human Resources Generalist responsible for performing all HR-related duties to support staff and faculty in Longy’s small and fast-paced school environment. This is an exciting opportunity for an HR professional who wants to develop the human resources role and related systems to make a significant contribution in a creative environment. The HR Generalist manages all aspects of human resources, including recruitment, employee relations, benefits, staff payroll, performance management, and policy development and implementation. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Manage Longy’s recruitment and hiring process including job postings, screening candidates, interview scheduling, calling references, drafting offer letters, and new hire package generation. Work closely with hiring managers throughout selection process to ensure effective screening, interviewing and placement. Act as centralized point of contact for all Longy hiring to ensure consistent handling of applicants and service to hiring managers.
- Work closely with Senior Staff to address departmental staffing needs and conduct necessary analysis to provide staffing solutions. Draft new position descriptions and coordinate the annual review of existing job descriptions and structure.
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding company policies, procedures, and programs. Manage the Employee Handbook and ongoing process for review and updates to ensure employment policies, laws and standards are current. Maintain strong communication with the Longy Faculty Union management, regarding faculty policies and procedures.
- Manage employee benefits enrollment and act as point-person for employee questions. Coordinate annual open enrollment process and renewals.
- Oversee performance evaluation systems at Longy. Coordinate the annual performance review process for staff, and the separate faculty review process as determined by the Collective Bargaining Unit. Work with supervisors to ensure staff receive a 90-Day Review. Conduct Exit Interviews with all departing staff and provide summary semi-annually. Work with Chief Operating Officer and President to interpret and respond to feedback in Longy practices as needed.
- Provide staff and faculty with human resources support regarding employee relations issues. Act as a resource to all employees for mediation, conflict resolution and training. Support supervisors in the performance management process and terminations. Work strategically with Senior Staff and Department Chairs to monitor and proactively address employee satisfaction.
- Prepare internal employee communications regarding compensation, benefits, and school policies.
- Process on-boarding paperwork (I-9/E-Verify, W4, Handbook, etc.), verifying that documents are received and filled out correctly.
- Develop the orientation process for faculty and staff to ensure new employees are consistently welcomed and given the necessary tools and training needed to begin work at Longy.
- Process biweekly payroll for staff, faculty, and on-campus student employees. Ensure accurate and timely entry of all employee data including new hires, status changes, transfers, and terminations, utilizing ADP Workforce Now. Work closely with the Business Office and Academic Affairs to ensure faculty pay is accurate and timely.
- Issue new hire agreement letters for all faculty throughout the school year. Coordinate annual faculty renewal process including issuing appointment letters and pay increases per the CBA. Track faculty work history and eligibility for renewal, benefits and reviews using Access Database (or other system, tbd). Generate faculty reports as needed.
- Provide general administrative support for HR functions, including creating and maintaining personnel files (electronic and paper-based), processing invoices, employment verifications, organization charts, and FMLA administration processing. Maintain employee records so that information is accurate and secure. Data management includes personal information; compensation, benefits, performance, new hire/termination records; leave accrual records; absences, transfers, salary progressions, etc.
- Work with Senior Staff to create strategies for strong employee communications across Longy. Schedule regular All Staff meetings and coordinate with Senior Staff to create meaningful agendas and information sharing. Attend Faculty Meetings on a regular basis to increase accessibility and provide HR updates.
- Stay up-to-date on current human resources issues, policies and laws and ensure Longy is compliant.
- Run standard and ad hoc Human Resources reports in support of HR data management.
- Work with Senior Human Resources Consultant and attorneys as needed to resolve complex employee issues.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years’ relevant human resources management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, business, or another related field preferred.
- Strong communication skills and professional presence, with a demonstrated ability to interact at all levels of the organization.
- Customer service skills with a strong sense of urgency.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, and highly detail-oriented.
- Results-focused, team-oriented, innovative, mature, and articulate.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Organized, proactive self-starter, who prioritizes and meets deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent writing skills with thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
Longy offers a competitive salary, holiday and paid time-off package (in addition, the school is closed the last week of December), enrollment in Longy’s group health and dental plan, life and long-term disability insurance, and flexible spending account and qualified transportation programs.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: Ann Welch, Chief Operating Officer, Longy School of Music of Bard College, 27 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. To apply via e-mail, include Human Resources Generalist in subject line and send to: .
Longy School of Music of Bard College is a conservatory with a mission to prepare musicians to make a difference in the world. World-class faculty and innovative curricula give students the skills they need to succeed while encouraging them to push their artistic presentation beyond the proscenium model. Longy promotes profound musical understanding and technical mastery, inspires growth of imagination, and fosters an attitude of inquiry about the musician’s role in the world. Longy serves graduate and undergraduate students from over 35 states and 16 countries between its Cambridge campus, and its campus in Los Angeles, which houses the El Sistema-inspired Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree program.
Longy School of Music of Bard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or age.