Facilities Staff – Part-Time (Posted May 19, 2017)
Longy School of Music of Bard College has an immediate opening for a member of the Facilities Staff. The hire will report to the Facilities Manager. This is a part-time position (24-30 hours per week), requiring evening, weekend, and early morning hours.
The Facilities Staff person will be responsible for ensuring that Longy’s buildings and grounds are clean, safe and well-maintained. You must be a team player and available to work early morning and evening shifts as necessary. You should feel comfortable on a ladder and be able to lift 50 pounds. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
FLSA Exemption Status: Non-exempt
- Regular dusting, mopping, and vacuuming of the school’s lobbies, classrooms, practice rooms, offices and performance spaces
- Cleaning and stocking bathrooms and kitchens are properly stocked with soap, paper towels and toilet paper
- Emptying all trash receptacles on a daily basis- common areas & offices
- Emptying office and common area recycling into exterior recycling bins every day.
- Taking large trash bins to curb for pick-up on a weekly basis; recycling every two weeks
- Replacing burnt out light bulbs in a timely fashion
- Handling minor repairs and construction projects including painting
- Transporting equipment and supplies as needed (heavy lifting may be required)
- Informing the Facilities Manager when janitorial and maintenance supplies become low and producing a list for re-ordering or purchase
- Alerting the Facilities Manager to any special maintenance or repair needs or hazardous conditions
- Supervising outside contractors and vendors while working on Longy property
- Required rotation to be ‘on-call’ for facility related emergencies
- Keeping both properties clear of trash and litter with daily clean-ups each morning and each afternoon. This includes emptying ashtrays and sweeping up cigarette butts.
- Emptying trash receptacles daily
- Keeping trash storage areas at both buildings clean and orderly every week
- Keeping public sidewalks around Longy safe and clear of litter and weeds
- Keeping driveways swept and clear of leaves, pine needles and other debris as needed
- Checking drains (window wells and roof drains) weekly and clearing them regularly
- Mowing the lawns once a week
- Snow removal from walkways, stairs, driveways and public sidewalks
- Keeping tools, equipment and other items properly stored in closets and/or sheds
- Maintaining and arranging for repair of equipment (i.e., lawnmower, snow blower, vacuum, etc.)
- Opening the buildings in the morning and closing them at night.
- Good organizational, time management and inter-personal skills.
- Must be self-motivated and have a positive attitude.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and one year of responsible experience in building maintenance; or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Valid Massachusetts Driver's License
- Must be comfortable on a ladder.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Longy offers a competitive salary plus a generous three weeks of vacation (in addition, the school is closed the last week of December, which serves as a fourth week off), enrollment in Longy’s group health and dental plan, life and long-term disability insurance, and flexible spending account and qualified transportation programs.
Longy School of Music of Bard College is a conservatory with a mission to prepare musicians to make a difference in the world. World-class faculty and innovative curricula give students the skills they need to succeed while encouraging them to push their artistic presentation beyond the proscenium model. Longy promotes profound musical understanding and technical mastery, inspires growth of imagination, and fosters an attitude of inquiry about the musician’s role in the world. Longy serves graduate and undergraduate students from over 35 states and 16 countries between its Cambridge campus, and its campus in Los Angeles, which houses the El Sistema-inspired Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree program.
Longy School of Music of Bard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or age.