ARTIST-TEACHER OF COMPOSITION (PART-TIME) (Posted March 16, 2017)
The Longy School of Music of Bard College is seeking applications for an artist-teacher of composition. Candidates should have the interest and demonstrated ability to recruit and develop an active studio in the school’s Conservatory.
Date of appointment: 2017-2018 academic year
The Artist-Teacher of Composition will be responsible for:
- Enthusiastically recruiting high-level undergraduate- and graduate-level composition students to Longy
- Providing weekly, hour-long private lessons to undergraduate- and graduate-level pre-professional musicians
- Attending and providing professional feedback on undergraduate and graduate student admission auditions, student juries, dress rehearsals, and recitals
- Providing recommendations and support to students seeking to pursue graduate or doctoral study
- Counseling students on performance and teaching job opportunities and summer programs post-graduation
- Creatively incorporating elements of the Longy mission, “to prepare musicians to make a difference in the world”, into private lesson delivery
- Participating in large school events including new student orientation, commencement, full faculty meetings, and departmental meetings
- Enthusiastically taking steps to raise the profile of the Longy Conservatory and its Composition department
- Evaluating and grading the performance of your private lesson students, according to the grading standards of the Longy Conservatory
- Providing ongoing assessment of student progress and development and take steps to accommodate the needs of students with individual learning styles
- Providing curricular recommendations to Conservatory advisors about failing students
- Communicating with Longy advisors about students who are struggling emotionally
Qualified candidates will possess an outstanding record as composers and teachers, with a strong national or international reputation. An advanced degree in composition or demonstrated equivalent is required. Candidates with a minimum of three years of teaching in higher education are preferred.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and phone numbers of three references by hard copy or email to Dr. Jeremy Van Buskirk, Acting Department Chair, Composition and Theory Department, Longy School of Music of Bard College, 27 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138 (). PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY ADDITIONAL MATERIALS AT THIS TIME. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Longy School of Music of Bard College is a conservatory founded in 1915, located near Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Longy is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Longy School of Music of Bard College is a conservatory with a mission to prepare musicians to make a difference in the world. World-class faculty and innovative curricula give students the skills they need to succeed while encouraging them to push their artistic presentation beyond the proscenium model. Longy promotes profound musical understanding and technical mastery, inspires growth of imagination, and fosters an attitude of inquiry about the musician’s role in the world. Longy serves graduate and undergraduate students from over 35 states and 16 countries between its Cambridge campus, and its campus in Los Angeles, which houses the El Sistema-inspired Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree program.
Longy School of Music of Bard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or age.