Administrative Assistant to the President (Posted March 17, 2017)
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the President and the senior staff team in relation to the day to day activities of the Office of the President. As a member of the President’s staff, this person represents the School when dealing with both internal and external constituencies. As keeper of the President’s schedule, s/he plays an important part in researching and prioritizing the many issues facing the President. This position is full time and reports directly to the President or her designee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the President’s calendar and ensure that the President is prepared for all meetings and events with necessary briefings, directions, research and support.
- Perform general organizational and administrative tasks in support of the President, and collaborate closely with all members of the senior staff team on matters pertaining to the Office of the President.
- Evaluate correspondence addressed to the Office of the President and respond as assigned and where appropriate.
- Greet and host guests visiting the President’s Office.
- Serve as primary interface with Bard College’s Office of the President.
- Facilitate the work of the President with the Board of Governors and its committees by drafting communications between the Office of the President and Governors, collaborating with the Chair of the Board in planning and scheduling Board of Governor meetings, drafting agendas, taking minutes, and distributing meeting materials.
- Work closely with the Institutional Advancement team to research and facilitate the President’s acknowledgement of gifts and collaborate to prepare the President for Advancement-related meetings and events. Assist with other school-related event set-up as appropriate.
- Assist with the organization of staff meetings and faculty interaction with the President’s office.
- Plan, compile the agenda, and take note of action items for weekly Senior Staff Meetings.
- Serve as primary contact for the Longy Student Association with the President’s Office, and work with Academic Affairs in arranging meetings with the LSA committee and the student body.
- Under the Chief Operating Officer’s supervision, manage portions of the President’s Office budget as directed, collect receipts, submit credit card reports, and appropriately allocate funds based on Presidential activities and costs.
- Perform specified financial internal controls functions.
- Serve as the point of initial contact on any matter directed to the Office of the President and determine the appropriate course of action, referral or response by the President or senior staff.
- Coordinate special projects as assigned by the President.
- Ability to think proactively, prioritizing and handling multiple complex tasks and projects both effectively and efficiently.
- Excellent judgment and discretion, especially with respect to confidential information.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively with other employees with a wide range of abilities and styles in a diverse community.
- Superior organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
- Self-direction; someone who is capable of completing projects and tasks quickly.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
- A positive, supportive attitude and a sense of humor and curiosity.
Longy offers a competitive salary plus open paid time off, comprehensive health benefits, 403(b) defined contribution plan, and flexible spending account.
- 3 years of relevant experience in an administrative support role, preferably in a nonprofit or educational environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Interested applicants may send a resume and cover letter in confidence to Holly Johnson, HR Specialist, at , Longy School of Music of Bard College, 27 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. Please put the job title, Administrative Assistant to the President, in the subject line.
Longy is at the forefront of graduate music education. Founded in 1915 as an alternative to traditional conservatories, Longy offers new and different perspectives on how to train and prepare modern musicians. Longy has made a name for itself by focusing on the social imperative: musicians, like all artists, must play a critical role in creating vibrant communities. This is carried out in signature programs to prepare students for the challenges of the musician of the 21st century. Located in Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the school is a branch campus of Bard College and serves undergraduate and graduate students on its Cambridge and Los Angeles campuses. Longy’s distinguished faculty promotes profound musical understanding and technical mastery, encourages growth of imagination, and fosters inquiry about the role of music and the musician in the larger world. With a curriculum shaped by the traditions of Western music, Longy prepares musicians to make a difference in the world.
Longy School of Music of Bard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or age.